www.infochangeindia.org invites applications for the 2012 Infochange Media Fellowships.
Three fellowships will be awarded to writers and researchers to conduct original research and write a series of 5 or more detailed articles on a chosen topic. The subject proposed must be pertinent to the broad areas covered by Infochangeindia – viz social justice, sustainable development, accountable governance and pluralism in India.
www.infochangeindia.org (managed by the Centre for Communication and Development Studies) is a leading reference point for information and analysis on a range of issues in the social sector – from environment, poverty, livelihoods and public health to women and child rights, social exclusion, displacement, education, governance and globalisation. We welcome proposals that uncover and illustrate topical issues and contemporary debates in any of these areas. The final output must combine detailed research with original reportage from the grassroots, background, perspective, analysis and, when appropriate, views and information from experts.
The fellowship must result in an exhaustive series of five or more original articles (preferably with photographic documentation) on the proposed subject of research, totalling 9,000 words or more. These will be uploaded on www.infochangeindia.org and may be published in any journals/books published by CCDS in the future.
Applications will be accepted till October 30, 2012. The results will be announced by the first week of November. Fellows are expected to begin work by the second week of November and complete it by the first week of January 2013. All content filed under the fellowships must reach Infochangeindia by January 10, 2013.
The fellowship is open to researchers and writers living in India only. Working journalists may also apply, provided their organisations endorse their application and allow them time off for this fellowship if selected.
Last date for submission of applications
All applications must be received by October 30, 2012.
The Infochange Media Fellowships offer a total amount of Rs 50,000 (subject to TDS as applicable) for the research and writing of the content. 50% of this amount will be disbursed on selection, to fund travel and research expenses. The balance will be released on successful completion of the project, submission and acceptance of content. Infochangeindia reserves the right to ask for revisions in articles submitted until its standards for upload are met.
The fellowship will be withdrawn and the advance refunded by the fellow if the fellow fails to complete or submit her/his project on deadline or if the quality of the work submitted is not acceptable. The decision of the editors/editorial board of www.infochangeindia.org on the quality of submissions will be final.
(All content researched and uploaded on www.infochangeindia.org may be submitted for publication/dissemination elsewhere one month after upload on our site, provided due credit is given to CCDS and infochangeindia.org as the supporting institution and the website where the material first appeared respectively.)
All applications must be accompanied by
- A detailed proposal (not exceeding 1,000 words) clearly stating the subject to be researched, the applicant’s perspective on this subject, and expected output in terms of X number of articles etc.
- Travel to be undertaken for the research, with an estimated budget.
- CV of the applicant.
- Three samples of published work. If these are in a regional language, they must be accompanied by a summary of their contents in English.
- Working journalists submitting applications must enclose a letter from their editor stating that they endorse the application and will allow the fellow time off in November-December 2012 for the research, if selected.
- One letter of recommendation from a writer/editor/academician or other appropriate referee endorsing the applicant’s interest/expertise in the chosen subject of research and the candidate’s ability to successfully complete the project.